My August chunky crumble is so special because it features the ultimate topping, seriously chunky rocks of biscuity crumble. This recipe uses stewed blackberries, plums and apples that have all come into season this month. Best served warm with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream, i hope you enjoy.
And thanks to Charlie for getting the apples!
For the filling:
- Green Apples (min 5)
- Blackberries (min handful)
- Plums (Min 5)
- 350g Plain Flour
- 4tbsp Golden Caster Sugar
- 4tbsp Butter
- 1tsp Cinnamon
For the topping:
- 2tsp Cinnamon
- 220g Cold Butter
- 175g Golden Caster Sugar
- 75g Dark Muscovado
- 200g flaked almonds
- Peel, core and cut all the apples and place in a cast iron pan
- Add the plums and blackberries and place on a medium heat. Stir in the sugar, cinnamon and butter and stir until the juices thicken. Leave aside to cool completely
- For the topping cut the butter into cubes, place all the ingredients into a large bowl and rub in between your hands until the big chunks of butter are gone. Then return to the fridge to cool completely.
- When you are ready to assemble and cook, heat the oven to 200c. Next squeeze the crumble in fistfuls and drop onto the stewed fruits, breaking up only slightly (example below).
- Put the crumble in the oven and turn the heat down to 190c, bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.