Heres a beautiful recipe for a candied orange and almond cake!
For the Orange topping:
- 2 whole large oranges
- 60g caster sugar
- 110ml cold water
- 50g butter
For the sponge:
- 260g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g almonds
- 230ml milk
- 1 lemon
- 115g butter
- 200g sugar
- 3 free range eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange zest
- It is important to note that the orange peel may be too bitter for most people, feel free to peel the oranges and thinly slice the segments instead. If you choose not to remove the peel then ensure to slice the oranges as thinly as possible with an extremely sharp knife! Once sliced, set aside.
- Lightly grease a spring form cake tin and place on a flat baking sheet to capture any leakage should it occur. Heat the oven to 180c.
- In a saucepan heat the sugar and water on high until the mixture caramelises and turns a deep honey colour, carefully remove from the heat and whisk in the butter.
- Pour the caramel into the springform tin then carefully arrange your orange slices on top. 🍊
- In a jug squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the milk, stir and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and almonds.
- In a large bowl cream the sugar and butter together then beat in the eggs a bit at a time. Followed by the vanilla and orange zest.
- Now alternate folding the the flour and milk mixtures into the wet ingredients bit by bit.
- Spoon the mix over the oranges being careful not to move your arrangement
- Bake on a middle shelf oven for 45 minutes.
- Once cooked carefully turn out onto a serving plate.
- Serve with cream, ice cream, custard or frozen yoghurt!