This recipe was developed to use the remaining pears from our garden and the freshly frozen berries picked this season to make the ultimate winter sponge pudding. It is a true hug in a bowl, served warm with cream or vanilla bean custard. With this recipe i welcome winter with open arms!
- 7-8 small pears peeled cored and roughly chopped
- 2 small handfuls of frozen or fresh berries
- 200g butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 free range eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 70g desiccated coconut (keep extra for decorating)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of ginger preserve, stem ginger in syrup or a jam/compote of your choice
- 2 tsp mixed Spice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1. Coat the fruits in 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of ginger and 1/2tsp mixed spice and leave to one side to infuse.
2. Beat the sugars and butter together in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Then mix in the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla extract.
3. Fold in the flour, coconut, baking powder, preserve and remaining spices. Once completely incorporated fold in the fruits until they are all coated in batter. The more you mix the more bruised the blackberrys will become and the more purple your batter will turn.
4. Quickly transfer to a springfrom cake tin and flatten to create an even cooking surface.
Have you tried this recipe? As always all questions, comments and suggestions are welcome.